Most people think that proper dental care focuses on the teeth alone and they neglect the importance of the gum’s health. Periodontal Disease is an inflammation of the gums caused by improper or lack of dental hygiene and bacteria in dental plaque.
If you have been diagnosed with periodontal disease, the good news is that it can be treated successfully. Carolina Smiles Family Dentistry offers Periodontal Treatments to fight the different stages of gum disease.
An Overview about Periodontal Disease
Periodontal Disease comes from two words: “Peri,” meaning around and “odonto” which means teeth. Periodontal Disease or gum disease is an infection of the oral structures around the teeth including the gums, the cementum covering the root of the teeth, alveolar bone, and the periodontal ligament. It is caused by bacteria that results in tartar and plaque deposits into the teeth.
If left untreated, periodontal diseases can lead to tooth loss or a more severe dental issue that needs immediate dental treatment. Depending on the severity of the gum disease, it can be treated with Periodontal treatment procedures.
Signs and Symptoms of Periodontal Disease
- Foul Breath
- Red and swollen gums
- Pain when chewing
- Tooth Loss
- Teeth Sensitivity
- Receding Gums
Causes of Gum Disease
- Bacteria in dental plaque
- Tobacco smoking
- Certain Medicines
- Poor Nutrition
- Lack of Proper Dental Hygiene
Advantages of Periodontal Treatment
- Determine and Treat Periodontal Diseases. Bacteria mainly cause gum disease in dental plaques above or below the gumline. If not treated right away, it can lead to a more severe dental problem. The procedure removes plaques and bacteria from the teeth that regular flossing and brushing cannot do.
- Reduce Darkened or Stained Teeth. The treatment cleans the teeth from plaque and leftover food particles. Having Periodontal Treatment and Maintenance gets rid of the yellowish color and the unsightly stains of the teeth.
- Alleviates Irritation. Periodontal disease is associated with Halitosis or persistent bad breath. The removal of gum-damaging substance can reduce the irritation to the gums and teeth.
Periodontal treatment is an essential dental procedure that significantly helps in improving the overall oral health care of the patient. After acquiring a periodontal treatment, make sure to maintain the health of the oral structures by observing proper dental regimen.
If you experience early signs of periodontal disease, like your sudden bleeding of gums, bad breath, loss teeth or separate teeth, contact our office at Carolina Smiles Family Dentistry for Periodontal Treatment in West Columbia.